L

L

Saturday 13 May 2017

A little something for the male guardian......

Well, dear souls, I really am most delighted with our most judicious purchase that was delivered early this very morn. The male guardian has for some time required another, yes, my dears, another bookcase to hold his growing collection of fine  and varied literature. Being keen to utilise a piece that had seen some use, we have for sometime kept watch for such an item of furniture - they really are quite, quite difficult to find at a reasonable price. As chance would have it the male guardian took the carriage through a local town recently and I happened to glance to my left and there sat the very bookcase at the front of a house clearance establishment. From that quick glance I was able to determine the well made dimensions and solidity of the piece despite its somewhat vulgar, poorly executed decoration. Why, my dears, we returned with alacrity before it could be snapped up and the male guardian most courteously haggled with the charming lady owner. For the princely sum of £75 fine English pounds we are the proud owners of said piece, delivery being part of the deal. I am really most delighted and have spent some hours today hand sanding the entire piece in preparation for the first coat of a rather becoming shade of chalk paint, chosen by the male guardian himself. Words cannot tell the absolute delight this piece of furniture has afforded me.

Now you may indeed be wondering how one has the temerity to describe the "vulgar, poorly executed  decoration" and then clarify ones intention to paint the item oneself - it is perhaps best at this juncture that I reassure you that I am indeed fully qualified to undertake this having served a three year apprenticeship many years ago before my current professional calling. I did, in my early years, run a small sideline of furniture restoration or "upcycling" as I believe it is now called. It was a most enjoyable venture and produced a most welcome extra means of finance. I am overjoyed to see this form of recycling come to the fore once more and can firmly expound the delights of such a project. I really cannot wait to see the item in place but patience is most important for "preparation is key" was firmly reiterated time and again by the the master craftsman who tutored both the male guardian and I at the local higher educational establishment; a most talented of gentlemen. This is indeed where the male guardian and I met, marrying much to the delight of the Tutor who took great delight in explaining to all and sundry that he had attended the wedding of two of his apprentices - it was really not usual for there to be a female apprentice in those days and caused quite some confusion when said, much to the  great hilarity of our dear, gentle tutor. Ah, how times change indeed for this is not unusual at all in current times. 

That said, I really must get on, for supper is yet to be prepared and the physical exercise has given me quite an appetite, dear friends. I will, of course, keep you updated on progress; who knows, a little seed may just have planted itself for future reference in relation to sidelines - one must have hobbies, my dears, must one not?

No comments:

Post a Comment