L

L

Wednesday 30 November 2016

Jack Frost...

Well, my dears, Jack Frost has well and truly visited us this week with temperatures dropping to minus four at night. The estate gardens, in places, have remained frosted and white all day, quite a breathtaking spectacle. The birds are truly grateful for the apples my dear guardians have left upon the ground for them, plus the reinstatement of extra nuts, seeds and fats they require, as well as water, to get them through these harsh times.  The badgers, and the odd roe deer, are also partial to the apples, as well as descendents of our dear old friend Cedric. The murmurs of a hard winter to come may yet prove correct. The birds have fair stripped the holly hedge of the glorious red berries that so delighted my lady guardian.

The log burner has been lit each day much to my delight and our little home is blissfully warm. At times like these one is reminded of the Nordic countries ability to enjoy the cold weather and darker days. My lady guardian enjoys winter and thus the simple pleasures, such as those of the Nordic countries, are enjoyed. The art of winter dressing is embraced with wool and natural fibres predominant. I am inordinately fond of my guardians winter wardrobe for there is nought so comfortable or warm as a woollen garment. My lady guardian's late mother was also a firm believer in small wool rugs for this time of year, an invaluable addition to any home and we are the grateful owners of a number of such blankets. Now, my dears, with the Christmas season ever closer perhaps one such gift would be a blesssing for the country dwellers amongst your friends and family, for one can never have too many practical gifts in one's repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment