L

L

Saturday 19 November 2016

A day of "doing"

Well, dear friends, today was a day of "doing". Living in the country, one is aware of the desire for some of the smaller country dwellers  wish to reside in close proximity to oneself, particularly when the winter provisions are laid down and the larder well stocked. 'Tis for this very reason that each autumn and spring my lady guardian takes stock, clears the larder, cleans scrubs and reviews the provisions with a beady eye, as well as ensuring that no such small country dwellers have found a way in to the larder, for such is the wish for a warm and comfortable lodging for the winter period, with meals thrown in. Thus, as my male guardian left to tend the sick and needy, barely had he drawn away, than my lady guardian girrded her loins and lo, the contents of the larder were spread before me. Top to bottom was scrubbed, provisions scrutinised and, only once my lady guardian was satisfied of there continued quality, were they returned whence they came. Whilst it is a mighty task, 'tis a sensible undertaking, although not one for the half hearted. Dear reader, I was quite fascinated upon commencement, however,  once it had been confirmed that no small country dwellers were lodging thus and required my assistance with rehoming, I fair lost interest. 'Twas all quite exhausting and therefore I felt it prudent to partake of forty winks whilst order was restored. My lady guardian clearly had something about her today for as I dozed most contentedly she utilised the time most fortuitously and I awoke to a warm, clean and fresh house; a vase of autumn leaves and hips resplendent on the side, mixed with the wood fragrance of the logs ready for a fire later this afternoon. Country comforts one and all, do you not agree?


No comments:

Post a Comment