L

L

Wednesday 6 December 2017

A stitch in time....

Oh, my, my, dear souls, I am beside myself with joy for I have spent another day in the presence of my dear friend who is quite the most patient of tutors in the art of the seamstress. I am quite delighted to tell you that I have finished making an article of clothing for myself. During the process I learnt how to plan and cut a garment from my chosen fabric, to press correctly, overlock with a special piece of  machinery, undertake facings in a contrasting fabric, use interfacing, put in a zip, make a zip backing in a contrasting fabric, use twin needles, top stitching and pockets. My friend was also most diligent in teaching me how to use my machine, and do you know, my dears, I learnt so much; why I never knew one machine could do so much, such a revelation. I am most keen to put in to practice that which I learnt, particularly, it has to be said, after paying a visit to a most charming establishment  in a nearby town that sold the most exquisite of fabrics. Now, whilst taken with said fabrics, I am not so bold as to use them for a first garment therefore I will use a more utilitarian fabric, with perhaps a small quantity of my chosen exquisite fabric for facings. I do feel, dear reader,  this to be the wiser course to take for such a novice as I. 

Such simple pleasure to be had in making something for oneself and achieving something that had erstwhile been considered beyond one's ability. I have my dear friend to thank for this for which I am truly grateful. Her attention to detail is second to none and I really do feel that I have learnt from an expert,  as well as producing a garment to a standard I would not have thought possible before this. So very delightful and joyously fun. 


No comments:

Post a Comment