L

L

Saturday 23 January 2016

A week of toil

Well, my dears, despite this week apparently being for rest and recuperation away from their usual toil, my guardians have spent the week between managing the building work and decoration, as well as the sad task of sorting the estate of my lady guardian's late mother. Hither and thither they have gone between builders, solicitors, electricians and banks. Why my poor head does spin at the very thought of it. Nought of this however for my guardians, no shirking of responsibility; staunch work has been done and both are nearing completion. There is sadness, too, at the thought that the changes to our small estate will not be seen by my lady guardian's dearest mother, which is of great sadness for she was inordinately fond of our humble abode, such as it is. This very day saw the work of the electrician take place to ensure plentiful light in the dining and sitting rooms. 

There is still much to be decorated but it is all coming together to enhance the warm and comfortable home that we all desire. As I write, the home fire blazes to dry the floors my lady guardian did scrub with verve this very afternoon, in the hope that the worst of the upheaval is behind us. Despite the time of year, windows and doors stood wide to allow the dust storm created in a frenzy of sweeping to escape, followed by the thorough scrubbing of the floors, indeed, any surface that looked remotely dusty. Cleanliness and calm reign this evening and I fully intend to enjoy the warmth of the fire after such a day. Sadly my male guardian is once again at toil in his occupation. My lady guardian potters around me and will stop and various junctures throughout the evening for a light repast or restorative cup of the finest English tea.

 I do so hope that this coming year holds more of a pleasant horizon for our little family. We must go forth positively and live every day as if it were our last, for, dear reader, there is a tendency to work hard but not take time to sniff the roses. As my darling brother often said, "we go this way but once". Let this be a reminder to us all that there is joy in life, even when at times there feels like none. Belated as it comes, we do so wish you all a happy new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment