L

L

Sunday 9 November 2014

Wood

Well how delightful to be able to tell! My dearest guardians are most fortunate to have been offered the opportunity to assist their dear relatives in collecting wood. Dear me, what an offer and oh my, what wood.The finest of oak and beech to collect for the home fires. Now, this may seem a small matter but when one says collect, one does not mean to send a man to bring home the spoils, oh no, dear reader, no. A special heavy duty carriage was hired, fortifying breakfasts partaken, a small collection of energising food collated and a journey undertaken to collect said wood. The sight, my dearest friends, upon their arrival was a extremely large pile of felled trees of both oak and beech (higher than my guardians head) waiting for their ministrations. Why, it fair took my female guardians breath away. Unthwarted by the size of the felled trees, my guardian and her male relative set forth; he sawing with his mechanical device and she transferring large hunks of wood to the carriage. Such was the quality and weight of the wood there were one or two pieces my guardian required a little assistance with, much to her chargrin. The large carriage hired for the day was filled twice with their efforts. After many hours toil, with sore and weary muscles, they set homeward. One is reminded of good honest toil of our forefathers. And the joy, the deepest of joy at a job well done, a job shared and completed; and joy in the knowledge of the plentiful supply of wood, stacked to season for the years to come. So satisfying.

It is perhaps understandable that both workers slept well, my friends. Hard work, however, is also good for the soul and my guardian is much restored after a weekend spent thus. The simple things in life can make me one so happy and contented.

No comments:

Post a Comment