L

L

Sunday 13 April 2014

Natural beauty

My brother and I have spent time this very week enjoying natures beauty. We are blessed indeed to live on a charming little estate amidst rolling countryside.  Our farming neighbours have toiled long and hard throughout the days to plough the fields in preparation for this years crops. We are most fortunate to observe first hand from whence our guardians food is produced. The fields are now glistening folds of chocolate brown surrounded by burgeoning hedgerows in all shades of green. Such a joyous and beautiful sight to behold. We are most fortunate in the dedication of the farming community.


There has been much activity also in the joint venture of the kitchen garden. Our female guardian has, along with a member of her family from the bordering estate, also spent a number of hours in toil. Oh reader, I cannot express the depths of my admiration for the hard work that has ensued. There are now four raised beds ready for planting and the morrow, my friends, brings planting day. Potatoes, onions and the most coveted of crops, asparagus, all await the dawn of planting day. I foresee aching backs and sore muscles but I must confess, dear reader, to the suspicion of the satisfied smiles of a job well done. Can you not picture a garden seat beneath the boughs of a budding apple tree on which two weary gardeners sit, a tray of refreshments between them, a smile apiece upon each visage?  In the words of Thomas Jefferson

 " No occupation is so delightful.... as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden.

Now, I do declare dear reader, to a sight of such amazement. We are fortunate to live in a delightful home of great character. My guardians are most keen on the restorative properties of fresh air and it was just this that bought such amazement to our lives. This very morning whilst resting after an early foray upon the estate, a great buzzing noise was to be heard from the dining room. Such was the noise that I confess I was afeared of what my guardians might find but, with staunch hearts, they ventured forth. The noise was emitting from a storm latern positioned on the chiffonier; upon investigating my guardians declared at the size and beauty of the Bombus within; Bumblebee, as we know it colloquially. Such a beauty to behold, although it has to be said, there was much relief when it took itself back to the sanctuary garden whence it came. It was a considerable size to behold and I do believe was half the length of my guardians thumb in length (if not a little fluff covered after its time in the storm lantern!). Most, most delightful.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment