L

L

Sunday 6 April 2014

A youthful resurgence

All around us is the emergence of the new season in all its colourful glory; the gentle pink white of plum and damson blossom, blown in the wind like confetti, the yellow gaudiness of rape seed fields, the green of emerging shoots and the air redolent with the sound of birdsong and bees. Spring is such a joyous season and one which my sister and I chose to rejoice in this very day. My sister sat  upon a suitable perch on which to pass the day watching the world go by; I on the other hand chose to inspect the orchard and admired the beauty of the emerging growth, the moss and lichen, the flowers bursting forth - what a glorious way to spend a day, full of natures bounty, full of youthful resurgence.



Our guardians were also blessed with spring enthusiasm. Our female guardian once again spent some hours at the estate of her relatives in the emerging shared kitchen garden. I have to confess some excitement at the pace in which this venture is
moving. There are now two large beds prepared, for asparagus and potatoes, as well as the smaller strawberry bed that has already been planted and showing signs of growth. This brings great joy to all concerned and will be a thing of bounteous beauty once fully established.


Our male guardian is preparing for a feat of great determination and one, I confess, causes me some consternation. Tomorrow he will spend a number of hours running, yes dear reader, running for a great number of miles with many other people. Personally, I fail to understand the need for such an exhausting past time, however, I do admire his determination and enthusiasm. Nietzsche's "That which does not kill me makes me stronger" comes to mind, however maniacal it may seem to me.


I have spent the end of the day in quiet contemplation following such a gladsome day for all concerned; I do declare dear reader that, in the words of John Masefield, " The days that make us happy make us wiser". I take my leave of you on this happy note, to consider the simple pleasures in life to be had for free.






No comments:

Post a Comment