L

L

Sunday 8 April 2018

A little light crafty retail therapy

My dear friends and I had arranged to spend an afternoon reviewing the wares of a small local rural town, not least due to the fact that they posses a rather tempting looking fabric shop.  'Tis a small shop but it does stock some rather lovely fabrics and had drawn us in rather like a sweet shop does for little, and some not so little, children. Like many rural small towns, it has a small but select number of artisan shops that have not been replaced by large conglomerates stocking the same wares in every town. There are a number of empty stores that one hopes will attract further artisans and not be handed over to the bigger outlets, nor more coffee shops, as there are already quite a few. One's wish is that there is someone out there who recognises the need for a good quality yarn shop for there is not one to be had for many miles and one has to travel some distance to be able to see and feel quality yarn. Wool Merchants, please do take note for I do believe you would do well. 

My dear friends and I spent a delightful few hours reviewing the wares, particularly in the fabric shop. The main attraction was the cotton fabric for 'tis a small shop, there is little space for much else and the owner is a keen quilter thus the range is largely limited to rather delightful cotton fabrics but oh my, there are such pretty fabrics on offer. My dear seamstress friend was in her element and chose three or four rather becoming patterns to purchase, much to her delight. We then partook of a rather lovely cup of fresh coffee in a little cafe behind a small but long established local food emporium that is well renowned locally, and further afield, for its wares, such is the choice on display. Once refreshed we wandered at will and enjoyed reviewing some rather lovely merchants wares. Much was admired, many an "ooh" or "ah" escaped but we were sensible in our purchases. It was a most pleasant afternoon of girlish enjoyment, and, dear reader, one was home in time for tea. 

During our time at the fabric shop I purchased some wool felt and thread to undertake some appliqué wool felting blocks. I am slowly attempting to complete enough blocks to finish a quilt that will also encompass some appliqué blocks my dear late mother, a sister and I started some years ago now. When my mother died the blocks were split between my sister and I but have laid untouched for some years. I had recently unpacked them and felt that it would be a shame for them to lay unused therefore had been planning on how to use them. Hand sewing had, through my life, been my preference until now and in my formative years I used to make soft toys to sell as a sideline, clothed in hand sewn and knitted/crocheted items. An entire soft toy was undertaken with hand sewing and wool crafts, thus small appliqué wool blocks will utilise some of the techniques and stitchery that I had previously enjoyed. Being a country dweller, nature and home are the themes I will encompass and I have spent a number of hours trawling the electrical devise for inspiration. Dear reader, there is a smorgasbord at one's fingertips and one really did have to restrict one's viewing time. 

"So much to do, so little time to do it" is the adage that comes to mind however there is much enjoyment in each of my crafting hobbies. I do find that they are a perfect release from the mental and physical stresses from the work being slowly undertaken in one's home and of one's professional toil. These, along with music, art and literature never fail, along with the joy of my small home and my family. Simple pleasures, dear souls, simple pleasures. 




No comments:

Post a Comment