L

L

Saturday 6 January 2018

Glorious bleak mid winter

I know, my dears, I know but, a white frost covered morning in deep mid winter is so much better than a sodden, rain filled day in the same season, do you not think? What is not to love about glistening, diamond covered trees and leaves, ones's breath streaking out before you and that warm ruddy glow as you go about gathering kindling and logs for a crackling blaze. The joy of warming one's fingers and toes before such a glad sight is really quite exquisite, hunkered down, with a cup of something equally heat inducing to wrap ones hands around. Oh, I do so love it. I enjoy enclosing myself in soft woollen layers, enhanced by a little something in quite the most softest of cashmere, a gratefully received inheritance from my dear late Mother's stash. We would often laugh about what she termed "your inheritance" for unlike many, what I had in my head of memories was enough, bar my fondness for her cashmere. Whilst jewels and money are considered as most people's inheritance, mine was memories and cashmere, for money and jewels do not immediately warm you. A piece of cashmere, whilst considered exorbitant in price, will repay the outlay, if cared for well,  through the generations. Dear reader, I am most diligent with my inheritance. 

It is inevitable, that during this short, sharp cold snap that a problem will ensue with the mechanism for heating the water. I do not mind the cold, per se, my dears, but to regularly shower in it at five thirty each morning is perhaps a little more than even I am keen on. We are most fortunate, therefore,  to have been visited today by a most delightful gentleman who, in under two hours, had diagnosed the problem, fitted the new part and had all working again. Such a lovely, tidy gentleman too, which is so gratifying. We are most thankful to him and an orderly queue formed to use the bathing facilities shortly after he had departed - oh, the sheer bliss of a hot shower on a cold day.

I am most delighted to report that the second cardigan for my dear friend and colleague is complete and t'will afford me great pleasure to be able to present it to her next week. I am most pleased with this second effort and the rather becoming button band in a colour chosen by my friend. Such joy in giving, dear friends, such joy; to witness that happy smile and pleasure in a gift is something to behold, do you not agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment