L

L

Sunday 12 February 2017

Bleak mid winter

The weather was quite bitter again today as my guardians went about their chores of bringing in the wood and ensuring enough kindling for the week ahead, as well as meals prepared ahead to give wholesome comfort on their return from their professional toil. I have observed them as they work and considered the countryside in which we live for it intrigues me that we sing about the bleak mid winter to celebrate Christmas yet February really is the bleakest month. Bleak, however, does not necessarily convey the beauty one can also observe for the countryside may be stripped bear but there is beauty in this with the clean lines of the hedgerows and trees, smoke emitting from chimneys and people wrapped up against the weather. Seed heads, ivy and evergreens forming the foundations of gardens in winter time. Frosty weather sprinkling it all with glitter or bitter winds causing birds to rise up and swirl in the currents. The Nordic countries have introduced us to the more enjoyable elements of hunkering down and taking comfort in these harsh condition rather than enduring; a log fire, wholesome food and drink, good company and enjoyment in simple pleasures, as I myself believe in. We have therefore very much embraced this ethos this weekend and enjoyed fire time with the log burner lit early each morning, going about our little routines and enjoying time together.  Time to recharge and rejuvenate where possible. 

I have been off colour for some time and really only observe life from the comfort of a warm lap or my gloriously comfortable basket that is raised off the floor and so comfortable, protecting me from draughts with raised sides and soft, warm fleece on which to snuggle down. My guardians are tending to my every need but I have somewhat lost my appetite and joie de vivre. It pains me to see their concern but, in cat years, I am elderly and have enjoyed a good life here in our little country home. I am loved beyond belief but, as we all know, every life comes to an end. Only time will tell, dear readers, how this little episode will end but for now I wish you a fond goodnight, 'til, hopefully, the next missive.

No comments:

Post a Comment