L

L

Sunday 4 September 2016

The month of September

"No Spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face" (Donne) for, dear reader, there is a joy in natures last display before winter. September is a glorious month for it has the fading warmth of summer and the glorious colours of Autumn before October starts the slow  creep t'ward winter. It is a bounteous month with fruit and vegetables in our gardens plus the rich pickings of our countryside hedgerows. A busy time within the kitchen and garden alike. The larder replenished, the garden requiring tidying and thoughts turn to the year to come. Yesterday saw the first real rain for some time with heavy prolonged downpours that were absorbed by thirsty gardens and fields alike. The holly hedge at the front of our estate bears many clusters of berries waiting to turn the joyous red they are renowned for. Let us hope, dear reader, this does not predict too harsh a winter to come, for despite my lady guardian's love of a cooler climate, one must remember the chaos that ensues in England at the glimpse of snow.

Indoor plants have spent some refreshing time on the terrace and will return to the house before the weather cools. Gutters have been inspected, cleared and repaired, and woodwork scrutinised to ensure hardiness for the months ahead. I am enjoying, my dears, this glorious month knowing that the warmth will gradually fade from the days; how abruptly and exactly when will be hard to pinpoint but I rest easy in my bed knowing that my guardian's are well prepared. This very day has seen my lady guardian "black" the log burner and briefly light it to remove the smog this task inevitably incurs. Better now, when ones windows can be thrown wide and the ensuing smog be readily dispersed; this is a tedious task but one best undertaken early. The log burner thus stands prepared.

September is the month of my male guardian's birthday thus my lady guardian and I attempt to conspire on a little something to celebrate the occasion. 'Tis not an easy task for my male guardian is a man of discerning taste and we must choose carefully. I have no doubt that a large slice or two of some sweet confectionary will be partaken at the appropriate juncture to celebrate the occasion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment