L

L

Saturday 10 September 2016

Assessing one's boundaries....

Such a joy, my dears, for my guardian's to sleep until they wake naturally. So often their professional toil finds them away from our small estate. Today, despite my male guardian taking his small new carriage off to toil later in the day, the dawn saw us all sleeping the sleep of babes. Such joy and so good for the soul. Alas it did not last, however my lady guardian did take the opportunity to tackle the boundary and yew hedge. Our delightful neighbour had begun the Autumn clearing this very week and kindly cut his side of the  boundary hedge. Thus encouraged, a large part of the day was spent cutting both hedges, not completing the task til quite past my supper time. My dears, they look quite divine; straight and true for all to see. One does so love a beautiful boundary hedge. My lady guardian is most proud of the yew hedging that borders the sanctuary garden for many an admiring comment it does receive; why the postal man is quite smitten with its lines, a glorious batter shape of a true hedge.  No doubt the new hedge will be tended with equal care and attention.  The rain we have recently gladly received has revived and refreshed the garden and, if I say so myself, ' tis looking quite splendid.

My lady guardian and I now spend the evening in repose following such an undertaking. A fine cup of English tea, a knitted garment on the needles and a little light classical music. Candles are flickering for we are fond of the gentle light and atmosphere they impart. The evenings are drawing in and the sky has quite darkened as the clock chimes eight o'clock. Tis still warm and our little home retains the warmth of the day. A restful, contemplative time before we retire for the evening; just the ticket, dear chaps, just the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment