L

L

Saturday 26 May 2018

The joy of Completion

I have, dear souls, completed the summer dress I started last weekend. My dear seamstress friend did spend the morning with me overseeing the completion, and finishing, of said garment. As, always, I find her tweaking of a garment invaluable for a tuck here, a correction there and one has the perfect fit. I feel myself most fortunate to spend time in her company, for not only does she have a quick mind and sharp wit, she is a most diligent teacher. If she asks to see something, one really does feel that twist of anxiety, but knows that a job well done will be praised and, those a little less than perfect, will elicit the most practical and helpful of advice and guidance to make it right. As she was taught by her Mother, I am being taught by her, that good finishing of a garment is de rigeur. Once complete, one is required to press the garment one final time, then don it and stand, twist, turn and sit under the gaze of the perfectionist. It is however this attention to detail and perfectionist stance that ensures one is left with a garment that one is proud to wear and, importantly, will last for many years, if cared for correctly. One's wardrobe has grown exponentially since we commenced our sewing soiress and most enjoyable they are too. Oft times, it is peaceful and quiet with all bar the combined thrum of two or three machines bent on the production of a garment apiece, other times there is a tuition talk and, at others, the delightful chatter and laughter of people enjoying the company of like minded people. A simple, but practical pastime, spent in the presence of like minded people, how very civilised, my dears.  

No comments:

Post a Comment