L

L

Monday 5 March 2018

Beauty

Whilst it has been a stark few days of freezing temperatures, one has ensured the birds are well cared for with extra helpings of winter fuel and water readily available to help them through the coldest days. One has had the joy of all manner of birds feasting upon the food supplied, from pheasants in their glorious finery, to Robins, blackbirds and many more. It has been a delight to see so many at one time. As I drove my carriage homeward bound this very evening, there at the top of the lane, sat atop the hedgerow was a beautiful gleaming barn owl intent on its prey. My dears, the utter delight of espying one so close to home was quite scintillating. As I drew nearer, up it rose in flight so effortlessley, affording me a delighted glimpse of its feathery finery in full span as it caught the breeze and flew over the carriage, an ethereal being in the dusk. Why, it fair made my heart sing.

As the snow slowly thaws the rivers are flowing fast and are now at the top of their banks.  The hills surrounding us still wear a patchy white covering much like a frothy white petticoat peeping forth. It is all so very pretty but a telling reminder of the force of nature when she decides to afford us a glimpse of her might. As I ensure the estate entrance gates are open in preparation for the male guardians return, there is a nip in the air. I can only hope not enough to cause a frost for this could prove treacherous. This morning, after alighting from one's carriage I unwittingly found a patch of ice, falling flat upon my back in no time. Dear reader, thankfully I was unhurt and very much had my humour intact for the thought of my very wet derrière on show after a dip in the snow and ice afforded me much cheer as I made my way to my professional toil. Clearly, one bounces well, dear souls.

Travel safe, however long or short the journey, dear friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment